Thursday, December 18, 2008

Keep those tubers from freezing!!

Attention!! Keep your dahlia tuber from freezing. Freezing = dead!

I live in Washington State, near Tacoma. Winter has hit.

If you have your dahlia tubers stored in a garage:
1. Keep the storage boxes away from an uninsulated wall.
2. Cover the storage boxes with blankets for insulation.
3.Be careful about using heat sources in the garage--don't burn your house down. If the garage temperature drops to 32 degrees (yes, I have my outdoor remote for my thermometer in the garage for my dahlias) I use an electric heater for an hour (only if I am home and can monitor it).
4. I have my heating pad (used for my cuttings in the winter) on top of my storage boxes (and under the blankets) and run it from 4am to 5am.

If your tubers are still in the ground:
1. Put mulch over the tubers. The temperature is to drop to single digits in the coming days. Mulch can be straw, compost, etc.


Check out my web site: The Dahlia Guy.

No comments: